Learning to Have Fun Again After Rehab
After leaving the treatment center’s sober environment, even disregarding the temptations and addiction triggers you may run into, there is another challenge. You likely have not spent time out in the world as a sober person in a long time, maybe even years, and are probably worried about the impact getting sober will have on your social life.
Being sober does not mean you have to stay home every day or miss out on social events, but it does mean you may need to put more thought into the activities you attend and the situations you put yourself into. You will want to avoid old hangouts and places that may trigger you. Reconnecting with old hobbies and things you used to enjoy is a good place to start, and you can also branch out and try new classes, events, or activities.
How To Have a Sober Friendly Night Out In Fort Lauderdale
If you want to have a sober-friendly night out in Fort Lauderdale, you can plan activities with friends and family who understand your needs and know what you have been through, like:
- Going to the spa, getting your hair and nails done, and pampering yourself with a massage
- Playing a sport, going bowling, swimming, or ice skating, or participating in another physically challenging activity
- Taking an art class, a cooking class, or joining a club
- Explore the world around you. Go on a hike or a city walk, try a new restaurant or café, and get curious about the places you go
Sober Friendly Things to Do in Fort Lauderdale
Some fun things you can do on your own or with a sober friend in Fort Lauderdale FL include:
- Visit the Palm Beach Zoo & Conservation Society to see over 190 species of animals and get in touch with local flora and fauna
- Go to one of the many beaches in the area and go swimming, have a picnic, or just hang out and people watch
- Visit the NSU Art Museum to see some of the most incredible modern art or become a member for free or discounted admission to their virtual and in-person programs
- Join one of the many gyms in the area and work on your fitness goals
- Join a social club like the Events and Adventures South Florida Club or the Fort Lauderdale Woman’s Club to forge new friendships and try new activities
Addiction Recovery Support at Serenity Oaks
At Serenity Oaks we offer sober support systems and relapse prevention strategies including:
- 12-step groups like Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous
- SMART recovery community
- Connections to sober living homes
- Alumni support through our THRIVE alumni group
If you find you are struggling and would like to return to a structured rehab program, we have several levels of care in our outpatient programs to choose from including our intensive outpatient program and our partial hospitalization program.
At Serenity Oaks in Fort Lauderdale FL, we treat substance use disorders including:
- Cocaine addiction
- Crystal meth addiction
- Heroin addiction
- Ecstasy addiction
- Opioid addictin
- Alcohol addiction
- Prescription drug addiction
We have treatments including:
- Dual diagnosis care for co-occurring disorders alongside addiction, including trauma therapy and psychiatric medication for mental health disorders like bipolar disorder, borderline personality disorder, anxiety, depression, and PTSD.
- Individual therapy and behavioral health treatments including cognitive behavioral therapy
- Family program and group therapy
At Serenity Oaks treatment in Fort Lauderdale, we can help south Florida residents quit alcohol and drug use through medical detox, medication-assisted treatment, residential treatment, and outpatient programs, but we will also be there for you as you transition back into your life as a sober individual, offering long-term care and support when you need it most and helping you reconnect with your loved ones. Call us today at (833) 720-0708 to learn more about addiction treatment, drug detox and alcohol detox and rehab, and what other amenities and services we can offer you in our customized continuum of care.