Aromatherapy is defined as “the use of fragrant essential oils extracted from plants as a treatment in complementary medicine to relieve tension and cure certain minor ailments.” Aromatherapy can be used medicinally as in many traditional cultures, used to simply make your house smell yummy, or used to increase health and wellbeing.
Here are 4 ways to use Aromatherapy in everyday life
- Massage or body oil. Oils need to be diluted in a carrier oil such as coconut oil or jojoba oil. 15 drops per ounce of oil is a good place to start. Using essential oils in massage is known to help: stress/anxiety, headaches, insomnia, chronic pain, reducing inflammation, enhancing immune system, and relaxation.
- Baths. Adding essential oils to your bath can increase circulation, reduce stress/anxiety, aid detoxification, and alleviate muscular aches. Popular oils for baths are lavender for relaxation and eucalyptus for muscle aches. Apply approximately 7 drops of oil onto a bath gel or Epsom salts.
- Steam inhalation. Inhaling oil infused steam can aid in congestion or sinus infections. Popular oils are eucalyptus, lemon, tea tree, and thyme. Apply a few drops to the boiling water, cover your head with a towel and breathe in steam. Keep eyes closed.
- Diffusion. You can purchase good quality diffusers on Amazon. They produce a mist into the air with the aromas of the chosen oils. Diffusers are commonly used for insomnia, mood enhancement, stress reduction, and purifying air. If you are new to oils, go to a local store that sells oils and smell the testers. Use the ones you are drawn to. Make sure to clean your diffuser as directed.
Proponents of essential oils have large collections of oils. If you are just starting out make sure to test oils on a patch of skin before using on larger areas. Here are 5 recommended oils to start with:
Eucalyptus. Use diluted for muscle aches and sinus congestion.
- Lavender. Use in a diffuser, in your bath, or in body oil to enhance relaxation. You can also try applying one drop to the bottom of your feet before bed.
- Peppermint. This oil is often used to treat headaches and increase alertness.
- Tea Tree. It can be used in cleaning, air purification, and for blemishes.
- Frankincense. It is known to be calming and grounding. A drop can also be added to face lotion.
Serenity Oaks Wellness Center provides a 5 week long rehab program to men and women seeking to make their lives more beautiful through recovery. Let treatment at Serenity Oaks be the beginning of your beautiful life of recovery. Start today by calling us for information: 844-720-6847